Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Jack's Back" pattern by Kaffe Fassett




These pics show a smidgeon of the pattern colors I worked throughout this cuff-to-cuff design. I took a class to learn how to do the fairisle technique and wow but it opened my eyes to free-form experimentation with color! Of course, Kaffe Fassett is particularly known for his artistic use of abundant color and this pattern is no exception.

I used an Anny Blatt angora/wool/thick-thin wool as the red-brownish alternating zig-zag in the pattern. Then I used a mixture of blues, forest greens, turqoises, purples, fuschias for the other alternating zig-zags. Each 'point' of the zig zag was always done with a beautiful turquoise ribbon yarn which I thought helped emphasize the points of the pattern. I think I used a little of every possible natural fiber somewhere in this jacket. There's a wee bit of man-made fibers but only as binder fibers within a few yarns.

Besides *really* learned the 2-handed fairisle technique, I learned to love the process of creating this jacket. I learned to look at a box of colored yarn in a totally free way. It was liberating and exciting. I loved working on this project.

I was working almost always with 2 strands of yarn in each hand on every row. It was great fun! It's my favorite way to work with color now.


No comments: